adstN

Exploring Hispanic Heritage Month: Nicole Rodriguez and Maya ... - Loyola Marymount University Athletics

Each year, from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15, we celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month, honoring the rich culture and significant contributions of Hispanic and Latin Americans. Nicole Rodriguez and Maya Hernandez, proud members of the LMU women's basketball team, share insights into their family and cultural background in an interview with LMU Athletics.
 
Q: How important is your heritage to you?
 
Nicole: " My heritage is important to me simply because it's who God created me to be. I didn't necessarily grow up with every traditional Mexican tradition; however, it is still an honor to be recognized as Latina and be a part of the community."
 
Maya: "My heritage is very important to me because it is a part of who I am. I was raised to be a proud bi-racial kid. I grew up surrounded by my Mexican family, where I celebrated many traditions.  I grew up with lots of love. Being Mexican has shown me how people can hate you without even knowing who you are, but still able to be proud of what it means to be Mexican because I know the beauty that comes with it. The culture of love, family, food, art, music, and unity."
 
Q: What country are you or your family from?
 
Nicole: "My family is from Vera Cruz, Mexico."
 
Maya: "My grandparents are from Mexico."
 
Q: What traditions or celebrations does your family participate in?
 
Nicole: " One of the first traditions that come to mind that my family participates in is 'Dia de los Muertos'. My mom sets up an ofrenda in my house, which is basically an altar in my home honoring loved ones that we have lost. Our culture is very family-oriented, and some of my best memories are from when I was growing up, and everyone in my family would come over to my house for any holiday, birthday, or special event. The best was when all of my aunts, uncles, and cousins would sleep over on Christmas Eve, so we would wake up on Christmas morning together and make cookies and eat tamales
 
Maya: "My favorite tradition that my family does is make tamales for Christmas (ours are obviously the best). I love Christmas time because it brings me and my family together to make something we love. We spread masa and laugh, gossip, and catch up on everything in all of our lives. Something that my family does is to have a family dinner every Sunday after church. We know the importance of having each other and showing our love. Almost all our get-togethers are surrounded by food. My Abuela always makes rice and beans, which are the best you'll ever have, but my aunts and uncles also cook food, and everything that we make is filled with love because recipes have been passed down through generations."
 
Q: How did you celebrate last year?
 
Maya: "Last year I celebrated Mexican Heritage Month surrounded by my family. We did not do anything special; we do what we always do which is to eat and be with each other and laugh."
 
Q: What's your favorite traditional dish?
 
Nicole: "It is very hard to pick just one favorite dish so I will do a top 3 which are Huevos Rancheros, Pozole, and my mom's homemade rice."
 
Q: What do you wish others knew about your culture?
 
Nicole: "I wish others knew how hard-working my culture is. People risk their lives to come to the US for more opportunities. We are the busboys, the cooks, the maids, the gardeners, and the people who sell fruit and flowers on the corner. We do whatever it takes to take care of our family."
 
Maya: "I wish people knew how welcoming my culture can be. I know that Mexicans are open to all other cultures because we know how unique each one is and that they all should be celebrated. My culture is filled with love and family."
 
Check out Rodriguez, Hernandez, and the LMU women's basketball team during their season opener Nov. 6, against the UNLV Rebels at 7 PM in Gersten Pavilion.
 
Season Tickets: 
It's not too late for fans to have the opportunity to buy season tickets. Purchase your season tickets for all ticketed sports at www.LMULions.com/tickets 
 
Mobile Ticket Information & Entry Procedures: 
To provide an efficient and safe experience for our fans; we utilize mobile ticketing delivery through the AXS app. Mobile ticketing allows fans to enter LMU athletic venues via their mobile app instead of a physical, paper ticket. Make sure to have your ticket available on your phone upon arrival to ensure the quickest entry process. For assistance, please call 310-338-LION (5466). 
 
Donate Today: 
Fans interested in making a contribution to the Lions Athletic Fund can do so by clicking here. Your gift will help provide a transformational student-athlete experience athletically, academically, and culturally for every LMU student-athlete. We appreciate your continued support of LMU Athletics.  
  
Follow Along With The Action: 
For complete coverage of Loyola Marymount University athletics, visit LMULions.com. We encourage you to follow along with all the action on social media as well. Follow along by following us on Twitter, liking us on Facebook, and following us on Instagram.
 
Print Friendly Version

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UBports GSI brings Ubuntu Touch to any Project Treble-supported Android device - XDA Developers